Monday, May 20, 2013

Beefed Up DogTreats



Here at Maison Mutt treats are taken seriously!

Our 5 fur kids love to be spoiled & Mr. Mutt & I are only too happy to comply.  Yes, the kids do have to "work" for their treats (I mean hey, it's not a "treat" if they just get them all the time). 




Since we make their daily food for them, it only goes to reason that we make their treats too.  When we first decided to switch to homemade food I came up with load of ways this just wasn't going to work into my schedule. But since I love to be in the kitchen anyway & all it involved is a crock pot & about 7 minutes...well, I saw fit to make it happen. 
Along with the realization that I may not be that great with C-H-A-N-G-E.

The ability to really know what our pack is ingesting (we only use organic for ourselves so our pups get the same) makes us feel good about the quality of food they take in.  7 minutes once a week isn't too much to give to our 5 furry babies, they give us so much more in return.


Making their food has grown into making their...well, everything! Treats whether cold or crunchy are crafted by Mr. Mutt or myself (or both of us at the same time) & it has been a real "treat" for us. Ya know, it's not a blog post without a bit of my cornball wit. Clearly having 5 dogs has done nothing to mature my humor.


So without further ado....here is our newest recipe: Beefed Up Dog Treats


Ingredients:
2 cups cooked ground beef (about 2/3 lb. raw)
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
2 large eggs
Directions:
1.  Preheat your oven to 350 and lightly grease 2 baking sheets. I use coconut oil.
2.  Brown the ground beef.
3.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked beef crumbles to a large mixing bowl.
4.  Add the tomato paste and toss until the beef is coated.
5.  Add the cheese, flour, dry milk and eggs and mix well. Stir, mix, mash whatever works to incorporate it all.
6.  Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto your greased baking sheets. 
These don’t really expand while baking, so drop them onto the sheet in a size that your dog would prefer.
7.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the bottoms of the treats are a nice golden brown.

This recipe makes about 50-60 bite-sized dog treats...depending on the size of your dogs bite. Be sure to store them in the fridge. 

Yes, you could substitute ground chicken or turkey.
Course you can't call them BEEFED UP...maybe... Fowled up? Nah.



 

2 comments:

  1. Man oh man, I want to eat your dog treats! Can I be one of your pets???

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Merci♥ J'adore your comments & I'll be sure to get back to you tout de suite!